Monday, May 12, 2008

Earthquake in China

I'm sure you've all ready about the devastating earthquake in China today. I sent out an email to some friends and family members letting everyone know we were alright but I just wanted to put up a post because I don't have everyone's email on hand.

As you probably saw on the news, the earthquake was in Sichuan Provence, which is about 900 miles from Beijing. It mostly effected the city of Chengdu, which is famous for Panda's. I visited this city in October and was able to even hold a baby panda at the research center.

We were actually at home when the quake occurred and all of a sudden our building started swaying. I was on the bed and I felt it start to move. I looked up and saw the door moving back and forth. It felt like we were on a boat. Aaron and I immediately gathered our money, passports and computers and headed downstairs to get as far away from our building as possible. We thought that either the building was about to collapse or that there was an earthquake. The guard in our building said it was nothing but we were not convinced. We live on the 16th floor and the higher you are the more you feel. We later heard it was an earthquake all the way down in Sichuan so we were able to come back to our building without any problems. At first we read that only a handful of people were killed but I knew that if I felt and saw our building move 900 miles away that the devastation was much larger. We are now reading about the thousands of people who have been killed and feel so blessed that we are ok. I really hope that the Panda's are ok too.


Please keep those who were effected by this devastation in your prayers.

Love,

Aaron and Kristyn

1 comment:

Errin said...

Im so glad you guys are ok Kris! Love you!